Part 2, Project 2, Exercise 1 Experimenting
30 May 2015
For this exercise I had to divide the page into 4 and choose several objects and depict the surface using various techniques, marks and tools. Plus experiment with Frottage.
I tried a number of styles of mark making and tools on all four objects dripping ink on a wet surface, splatter, using a water brush to blend the ink and watercolour pencils, dots, swirls, hatching, blending, directional, jagged lines, cotton buds, fingers and nails and neutral coloured pencils .
For my first object I chose a slice of tree that had been made into a Candle Holder. I chose to depict a small area of bark on the side of the slice of wood.
I used four different mediums, blue ink-it’s the only colour I have at the moment. Watercolour pencil, Conte Pastel, and a rubbing done using paper and a Wax Pastel.
Ink – I wet the page and just dropped ink on to it trying to show the different areas, then when dry added lines where the cracks were. I think this was the less successful as it didn’t really show the surface well.
Conte Pastel – I think this worked the best. I broke off a few colour appropriate pieces and just dragged them down the page. Then used the point of a black to define the cracks. I thought this worked well looking more like the slightly rough surface.
Watercolour Pencil – Was my next favourite I quickly coloured the object using hatching and lines then very lightly placed a wash over the top with a water brush. I think this would have been more realistic if I had taken a lot more time over the sketch.
Rubbing – This was done using Wax Pastels 2 colours with harder pressure on the lighter colour because this is how the colours appeared on the log.
An Avocado was my next choice of object.
I used four different mediums
Graphik Line Pen – this didn’t work well it just looked a little dotty more my lack of experience with them I think, as I couldn’t control, or didn’t know how to control their spread. I tried some splatter with these and dropped ink onto water, plus used my finger to mix the colours together.
Conte Pastel – This was my favourite as I had enough colours to make it similar to the Avocado itself and I got the bumpy texture with them by laying dots and swirls over the background colour..
Charcoal – This was again fairly good and although not as good as the Conte Pastel, I did manage to get the surface texture using similar tecniques.
Frottage – I used Wax Pastel for this it is very good at showing the surface, I just left it at the one colour this time.
Stone Wall from inside my house.
I only used 3 different mediums for this, not sure why, but the wax was good to get the rubbings maybe I should try something else next time.
Wax Pastel – these were a little thick for me to get the rough texture but worked fairly well I blended them using my fingers and I used my finger nail to pick the rough texture.
Conte Pastel – I had better control over these but again they were a little thick for me to get the dotty rough texture of the sandstone. I started colouring the background and blending with a cotton bud.
Derwent Coloursoft – These worked the best and given time I could have got the wall relatively accurate as the marks were easier when you could sharpen to a point. I used various marks and blended them by using a neutral colour pencil then applyed dark marks at the end over the top
Wax Pastel – this was again used for the rubbing to get the marks, I experimented with two colours.
Leather Carving was my final choice. I liked the smooth surface with the carved rose.
Watercolour Pencil – This was one of my favourites and worked relatively well given I don’t find they work well, when I add water but with the water brush it worked fairly well. I am not sure if its I am used to using watercolours and the pencils don’t behave the way I expect.
Fine Liner – I didn’t have brown but I liked the effect from this the best and it was my favourite, the water brush gave the surface a smooth look but I could also add the shadow and natural colour change of the leather pretty easily in a short time. I first of all drew the lines, and then wet the ink carfully drawing it out into the unpainted area. Again I used the water brush for this as its rough bristles worked well
Coloured Pencil – Again worked well and when sharpened could be very accurate in their application but again to get an accurate portrayal they take too much time for this experiment . I blended using the pencils themselves
Grey Charcoal – I thought I would have a change with the rubbing it worked well and gave a much smoother look than the wax pastel.
Looking back if I did this again I would try and use more unusual tools to get my effects.